Printing issues delay Wednesday Tribune
The Great Bend Tribune could not be printed Tuesday night and therefore no papers were delivered Wednesday, Publisher Judy Duryee announced. Subscribers can access the full electronic version of Wednesday’s Tribune online at and the printed version will be delivered along with the Friday paper.
Full Story
By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Great Bend man arrested following investigation into drug, weapons charges
Matthew Jones
Matthew Jones

A 55-year-old Great Bend man was arrested Thursday on multiple weapons and drug charges following an investigation that spanned several months, as well as federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies.

According to Barton County Sheriff Brian Bellendir, BCSO detectives and deputies executed search warrants at 1809 Jackson St. and an adjoining building at 3108 18th St. in Great Bend at around 3 p.m. Thursday following a BCSO investigation into suspected drug and weapons charges at the 18th Street address.

During the course of the search, Bellendir said, BCSO deputies located multiple firearms hidden inside a wall. At least one of the firearms was believed to be stolen; others were suspected to be modified to function fully automatic. Bellendir said officers also located suspected homemade suppressors and seized thousands of rounds of ammunition.

The resident, identified as Matthew Jones, 55, of Great Bend, was arrested and transported the Barton County Jail without incident where he was booked on the following charges: two counts of distribution of methamphetamine within 1,000 feet of a school; criminal possession of a firearm by a drug user; criminal possession of a fully automatic firearm; criminal possession of a suppressor; possession of stolen property; and possession of methamphetamine.

Over the last several months, Bellendir said the BCSO received assistance from the Kansas Bureau of Investigation and the Great Bend Police Department. The United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has also been notified and is involved in the case.

Jones is being held in lieu of a $100,000 bond.