By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Hogs die in fire
Placeholder Image

Editor's note: This article updates and corrects Great Bend Fire Department news previously posted at "OTR for Feb. 19, 2013."

Eight or nine pigs died Tuesday morning when a hog shed at 238 North Washington caught on fire. Great Bend Fire Department was dispatched at 4:37 a.m. There was a heat lamp for the piglets and firefighters determined the cause of the fire was electrical. Loss was estimated at $3,000.

The shed, which was destroyed in the fire, was on the north side of some storage buildings, and the person who called 911 said the flames that were visible from the outside appeared to be about as high as those buildings.

Firefighters made four ambulance run Friday, six Saturday, six Sunday and four Monday.
The fire department was dispatched to 3301 Forest Ave. at 10 a.m. Saturday, for a smoking breaker box caused by a utility problem. At 6:43 p.m. there was a small trash fire at 11 NE 30 Road, and at 10:31 p.m. there was a vehicle fire at Railroad and McKinley.
At 3:35 p.m. Sunday, a cigarette caused a fire on the front porch at 2116 Pawnee Road. The fire was extinguished before firefighters arrived.

At 10:33 p.m. Sunday there was a vehicle fire at 300 SW 50 Ave. The vehicle was in the riverbed by the Radium Bridge and was destroyed by the fire. Barton County Sheriff’s Office reported the fire was suspicious in nature and a case was taken.