By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Man arrested after fleeing, barricading himself inside residence
Andrew Taylor 2020
Andrew Taylor

Thirty-three year-old Andrew Taylor was arrested Saturday morning after allegedly fleeing from Great Bend Police on foot and barricading himself inside a Great Bend residence.

According to a GBPD release, at approximately 3:41 a.m. Saturday, a GBPD officer conducted a traffic stop in the 2200 block of 28th Street on a 2004 Honda Odyssey for a traffic violation. A passenger in the vehicle, identified as Taylor, was known to the officer to have multiple arrest warrants from multiple agencies.  

When the officer advised Taylor of the arrest warrants, Taylor ran from the vehicle, toward a nearby residence. After a brief foot pursuit, the officer observed Taylor go into that residence in the 2200 block of 28th Street.

Responding officers created a perimeter around the residence to ensure Taylor was unable to leave undetected. Officers then entered the residence and located Taylor in a back bedroom under a bed. Taylor then told officers he had a gun and that he was going to shoot himself if the officers did not leave the residence. Officers backed out of the residence, making sure the two other occupants of the residence made it out safely.

The area around the residence was blocked off and additional officers and detectives were called to the scene. While a search warrant was obtained for the residence, officers attempted to contact Taylor over a loudspeaker. Eventually Taylor contacted an officer via text message and began communicating. After approximately four hours, Taylor exited the residence and surrendered without incident.

Taylor was transported to the Barton County Detention Center where he received a mental health evaluation.  He was arrested on the four arrest warrants, on charges including possession of a stolen firearm, interference with law enforcement and two counts of failure to appear. Additionally, Taylor was charged with criminal possession of a firearm and interference with law enforcement. He remained in the jail Monday in lieu of bonds totaling more than $17,000.

A search warrant was later executed at the residence.

This case is still under investigation and anyone with information on this or any other case is encouraged to contact the Great Bend Police Department at 620-793-4120 or Barton County Crime Stoppers at 620-792-1300.