By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Barton takes sole possession of Jayhawk lead
spt CougarHead2C

It is still early in the grueling 26-game Jayhawk Conference race. But Saturday night in Arkansas City was going to give either Barton or host Cowley the out-right lead in that race.
Both teams came in 4-0 in the conference – the only unbeaten teams in Jayhawk play. When the final buzzer sounded at Scott Auditorium, Barton had an 86-79 win to stand alone in the unbeaten ranks in the Jayhawk.
“Road wins are tough in this league,” Coach Craig Fletchall said. “Cowley had a good team. It was a tough win for us.”
Barton is now 5-0 in the Jayhawk and 9-0 overall. Cowley falls to 4-1 in the conference, tied with Hutchinson and Coffeyville for second. The Tigers are 7-2 overall.
A pair of big second half runs proved to be the difference for Barton. The Cougars had a 12-0 run early and a 10-0 run late. That helped the Cougars rally from a halftime deficit for the win. It was the fourth time in five conference wins Barton trailed at half.
“We don’t lose our composure,” Coach Fletchall said. “Cowley hit eight 3-pointers, all off the bench, in the first half. We handled that better in the second half.”
Barton came out on fire to start the game. The Cougars bolted to a 7-0 lead following a deep 3-pointer by Sam Lorenzen less than two minutes into the contest.
After Kawanise ‘Squeaky’ Wilkins tipped in a Lorenzen miss, it was 9-0, forcing Cowley Coach Tommy DeSalme to call a tie out 2:40 into the game.
That seemed to calm the Tigers, who answered with the game’s next five points. The Tigers took their first lead at 15-14 on a 3-point play by Darnell Cowart with 11:27 left in the half.
A trio of 3-pointers gave Cowley its biggest lead of the game at 25-19 with 7:47 to play. Barton didn’t panic. Lorenzen knocked down back-to-back treys to tie it at 25-all with 5:58 to play.
A third straight trey by the Nebraska Kearney transfer gave the Cougars a 28-25 lead. Cowley closed out the half strong, taking a 40-34 lead to half.
Cowley quickly pushed the lead to nine early in the second half but Lorenzen stopped a 9-0 run over the two halves to make it 43-36.
That was the start of yet another big second half for the Cougars. Treys from Lorenzen and Noah Webster got things rolling. Back-to-back buckets by Wilkins pulled the Cougars within 50-49 with 15 minutes to play.
Lorenzen gave Barton the lead with two free throws, 51-50, with 14:40 left. The Cougars kept going with another Webster 3-pointer for a 54-50 lead and pushing Barton’s run to 12-0 with 14 minutes to play.
Cowley recaptured the lead at 60-56 in the back-and-forth affair. Cowley would play with the lead the next several minutes, reaching six at 72-66 with 5:45 to play.
Keshon Montague buried a big 3-pointer to cut that lead in half, 72-69, with 4:49 left and start another Cougar run. Lorenzen hit a trey the next trip down to tie it at 72-all. Barton’s run reached 8-0 on a Montague jumper in the lane for its first lead in six minutes, 74-72 with 3:45 left.
Wilkins extended the run to 10-0 with two free throws at the 2:55 mark and Barton had a 4-point lead. Cowley stopped the run with two free throws. McGee would bring Cowley with a single point at 78-77 with 1:26 to play on a 3-pointer.
Cannon would answer with a 12-footer on the right baseline to make it 80-77 with 53 seconds to play. That jumper would prove big as Cowley failed to score its next trip down, forcing the Tigers to foul.
Barton made 6-of-6 free throws the final 26 seconds to secure the win.
Lorenzen led Barton with a career-high 25 points thanks to a 7-of-12 effort on 3-pointers. Wilkins added 16, Cannon 16 and Montague 10.
The Cougars be back at home Wednesday when Allen County comes to the Barton Gym. The Red Devils are 1-4 in the Jayhawk and 3-6 overall but are coming off a 102-95 overtime win over Butler. Tip is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.