By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Lady Cardinals softball team sweeps Lyons in doubleheader on Tuesday
Placeholder Image

On Tuesday, the Hoisington High School Lady Cardinals hosted Lyons, winning 6-1 in the lidlifter and taking the second game 3-2 in nine innings.
In game one against Lyons, the Lady Cardinals scored all six of their runs in the third inning. Barnard had five strikeouts, while giving up three hits and three walks.
In the final game against Lyons, Hickel went all nine innings, recording six strikeouts with two walks.
After Hoisington scored one run in the bottom of the first, Lyons played from behind until it scored two runs in the top of the sixth.
The Lady Cardinals knotted the game at two in the bottom of the sixth.
Mykela Riedl led off the bottom of the ninth inning with a single up the middle. Shelby Boor followed with a sacrifice bunt, advancing Riedl to second base.
Haley Acker recorded the game-winning RBI with a shot to the fence.
“Everyone did what they were asked to do in the ninth and we were able to escape with a win,” Van Scyoc said. “I really though Haley’s hit was going to clear the fence and Tanna came back from the Ellis game and pitched a terrific game.”

Hoisington splits doubleheader in Ellis
ELLIS — The Hoisington softball team split a twinbill with Ellis on Monday, taking the first game 6-4, but losing the nightcap 14-13.
In the first game against Ellis, Bailey Barnard pitched a complete game to pick up the win with four strikeouts, two walks and four hits.
In the second game against Ellis, the Lady Cardinals were able to close the margin to one in the seventh inning but stranded a runner on third as the Lady Railers took the win.
Freshman pitcher Tanna Hickel took the loss.
“We played well on defense and just enough offense to pull out the win in game one,” Hoisington head coach Lee Van Scyoc said. “Tanna has pitched well all year, but struggled throughout the second game, giving up eight walks. She hung in there and we almost pulled it out.”