Friday afternoon, the Great Bend Recreation Commission released revisions to its phased reopening plan approved at last Monday afternoon’s GBRC board meeting.
The changes were in response to revised “Phase 1.5” guidelines released by Governor Laura Kelly during her address Thursday afternoon.
The main updates include:
- The Carl Soden Recreation Center, Great Bend Activity Center, City Auditorium and MyBackyard playground will not open Monday as originally planned. These facilities are now tentatively scheduled to reopen June 1.
- The Jean Cavanaugh Wellness Center is still scheduled to open, but with limited hours.
- The Brit Spaugh and Veterans Memorial Park ball fields, the Veterans Park tennis courts, and the Veterans Park disc golf course will still be open to the public Monday, but will not be open to organized games, practices, tournaments or leagues until June 1. After June 1, gathering size at these facilities will be limited to 30 persons.
- Exercise programs are now scheduled to begin June 1 with appropriate distancing and gathering guidelines observed.
- Recreation operations will continue to operate at 50% capacity until at least June 15.
- Swimming lessons, summer youth programs, youth camps, and all remaining summer recreation programs will now tentatively begin June 15.
- Summer softball and baseball leagues are now scheduled to tentatively begin June 29.
The above plans are subject to change consistent with state guidelines, and will be communicated by GBRC staff as needed.