By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Ask an Attorney
Placeholder Image

The advice of a good attorney can be expensive but an attorney’s knowledge can be priceless. Do you have a question about a legal matter? Go to and ask a licensed Kansas attorney your question free of charge. Your question may just end up getting answered in the newspaper! Remember the Law Office of Brandan Davies LLC does not represent you in any matter until a formal representation agreement has been executed. The following information is not legal advice it is for entertainment purposes only. If you have a legal question please consult an attorney.

Q:  A police officer told me my driver’s license was suspended. He couldn’t tell me why. How can find out why it is suspended?
A:  There are a couple of ways to find out. You can go to the Kansas Department of Revenue’s website and do a license status check, which will tell you why it is suspended. You can also call the Kansas Dept. of Revenue Driver Control Bureau and they can tell you over the phone. Lastly you can go to a DMV and have them pull your driving record.  FYI: Make sure your license is reinstated before you drive, a driving on a suspended license charge is a criminal offense, and a conviction leads to jail.

Q:  I want to change my child’s name. What can I do to make it legal?
A:  If you want to legally change a child’s name you need to file a petition for name change in the district court where the child resides. You will have to pay a modest filing fee and publish notice to anyone that might contest the name change. Once you have completed all the necessary steps and a judge signs an order changing the name, the name is changed. Sometimes you can find an information packet on this type of thing at your local law library. Start there first.

Q:  I think my neighbor is selling drugs. He has lots of people over at his house and is always shipping things. What can I do to find out?
A: If you think illegal activity is going on you need to report it to the police. Do not try and play CSI, or TV detective. There are many alternative explanations why this type of activity is happening. The police will investigate and turn over evidence to the district attorney if a crime is being committed. Tell the police then stay out of it

Q:  My husband was injured during surgery that has cost us income as well as more medical care needed resulting in more out of pocket expense. Can the physician be held responsible in any way?
A. It depends; if the doctor made a mistake and that injured your husband then he may be entitled to money for his loss. There is quite a bit more to it than that though. You need to talk with an experienced personal injury attorney as you only have a limited time to seek damages for the injury.

Q. I have a criminal case for drug possession. How much does an attorney cost and why do I need to hire an attorney?
A. When it comes to cost lawyers are like anything else, you can spend as much or as little as you like, but you will probably get what you pay for. That being said you want to hire someone you are comfortable with and that has a good reputation. If you have been charged with something as serious as drug possession you need a lawyer. You need to realize you have a lot at stake. Your criminal record, your livelihood, and your freedom are all on the line. I often use this analogy. It is possible to represent yourself just the same as it is possible to perform surgery on yourself. Neither one is a good idea and you should probably look to an expert for help.