Five Barton instructors earned the Distinguished Instructor Award for the 2013-2014 school year for their efforts in the classroom.
The winners are:
• Vern Fryberger, Director of Chorale Activities at the Barton County campus
• Mike Cox, history instructor at the Fort Riley campus
• Brian Koch, associate math instructor at the Fort Riley campus
• Amy Neidig, associate math instructor at the Fort Leavenworth campus
• Karey Marshall, BARTonline.org Chemistry Instructor
The Distinguished Instructor Award for full-time faculty was created in 1984 to recognize teaching excellence. Faculty members are nominated by their peers and then evaluated by a committee including Barton students, a previous Distinguished Instructor Award recipient, members of the Barton Foundation, Board of Trustees and community members. The committee considers each instructor’s contributions to teaching and learning, the college mission and the community.
In 2003, the president’s staff recognized the many contributions of Barton’s associate faculty members by establishing the Distinguished Instructor Award for associate faculty as well.
A plaque reflecting the names of the award recipients is displayed in Barton’s Office of Instruction and Student Services.