Faith Community Church of Great Bend will be celebrating 61 years of ministry and dedicating the new church addition at 10 a.m. this Sunday, Oct. 13. Speakers will include the Rev. Fred Kirkpatrick, founding pastor of 52 years, and Sandy Kennedy, senior pastor.
Faith Community Church had its beginnings in October of 1952. Members held their first services in a room located on the second floor of a Main Street building. In 1956, the church purchased the Episcopal Church building, which was located on the site of the planned U.S. Postal Office. The building was moved to 19th and Heizer St.
By 1975, the church had experienced growth beyond the room that the church building provided and an expansion was needed. The Lord directed the congregation to successfully bid on the property of Barton County Home, west of Great Bend. Upon the property, the construction of Faith Community Church (log structure) was begun and was finished in the fall of 1978. In 1997, the construction of the Family Center was completed. In August of 2012, the addition of a foyer, rest rooms, classrooms and nursery to the church sanctuary was begun. In October of this year, the construction was completed.
The ministry of Faith Community Church has touched many lives, not only in this community but throughout the region and the world, Kennedy said. “Over the past 61 years, many people have received salvation, healing and freedom for their lives.” She invites the public “to come and celebrate what the Lord has done and what He will do in the future as we dedicate the new facility to the Lord.”
Faith Community Church is located 1 mile west of 10th St. and Patton Road. For more information visit Faith4greatbend.com or call 620-793-8084.