Great Bend Fire Department personnel respond to a garage fire at 292 North Washington around 6 a.m. Friday. Fire department reports indicate that a trash can containing spent fireworks had been dragged into the garage and the fireworks reignited. The blaze was contained to the trash can but there was about $11,000 in damage to the property and contents.
This was not the only fireworks-related fire the GBFD responded to. There was a grass fire in the 4900 block of Quail Creek at about 9:50 p.m. Thursday (which was out prior to GBFD arrival), a dumpster fire with re-ignited fireworks in 5900 block of Eisenhower (there were no structures damaged) and a another trash can fire at 2:50 a.m. Friday in the 1400 block of Second Street (again, no structural damage).