By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
FSA Emergency Loans available because of natural disasters
Placeholder Image

Adrian J. Polansky, State Executive Director for USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA) in Kansas announced that FSA is making emergency loans available to help qualified producers recover from production and physical losses due to natural disasters.
Secretarial Disaster Designation S3117 for drought, and related disasters, including wildfires and high winds on Jan. 1, and continuing made the following primary counties in Kansas eligible: Finney, Lane, Logan, Gove, Grant, Greeley, Hamilton, Haskell, Kearny, Meade, Morton, Ness, Scott, Seward, Sheridan, Sherman, Stanton, Stevens, Thomas, Wallace, and Wichita.
These contiguous counties in Kansas are also eligible: Cheyenne, Clark, Decatur, Ellis, Ford, Graham, Gray, Hodgeman, Norton, Pawnee, Rawlins, Rush, and Trego. In addition, there are some contiguous counties eligible in Colorado and Oklahoma.
Producers in the above listed counties have until Jan. 10, 2012 to apply for an emergency loan. Eligible loan funds may be used to restore or replace essential property and pay production costs associated with the disaster year. Applicants can borrow up to 100 percent of actual production or physical losses not to exceed $500,000. The current rate for these low interest loans is 3.75 percent. Producers must meet eligibility requirements and not be able to obtain credit from a commercial lender. FSA will consider each loan application on its own merits, taking into account the extent of losses, security available and repayment ability.
Producers in these counties may also be eligible for 2011-crop year Supplemental Revenue Assistance (SURE) Payments.  SURE is one of five disaster programs included in the Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 that provides assistance to farmers and ranchers who have suffered losses due to natural disasters.  Signup for 2011 losses will be held in a future year.
Contact the FSA office at your local USDA Service Center.  USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.