By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
GBFD answers Christmas Day fire call
Stone Street fire
No one was at home in this Christmas Day residential fire extinguished by the Great Bend Fire Department. The fire at 805 Stone was confined to the second floor of the structure. Damages are estimated in excess of $50,000.

Great Bend firefighters responded to a residential fire on Christmas Day at 805 Stone, according to Great Bend Fire Chief Luke McCormick.

McCormick reported Tuesday that at approximately 12:43 p.m. Sunday, the “C” shift of the Great Bend Fire Department was alerted by a neighbor to thick smoke visible at the residence. Upon arrival, firefighters encountered heavy smoke coming from the upper story. 

No one was at home at the time of the fire, McCormick said. 

Accessing the interior through the second-floor window, firefighters that included assistance from off-duty personnel were on-scene for approximately two hours, where the blaze was confined to the upper floor. Two pet tortoises were lost as a result of the fire, which had been determined to have begun from accidental causes. Damages were estimated in excess of $50,000, Chief McCormick noted.

The GBFD was assisted at the scene by the Great Bend Police Department, the Great Bend Water Department and Wheatland Electric.