Monday’s meeting at a glance
Here is a summary of action and information from Monday’s Great Bend USD 428 Board of Education meeting:
• Heard a presentation from Mike Perry, Great Bend High School head bowling coach, and Jim Mayberry, Rule-10 assistant bowling coach, on the intramural bowling league at Great Bend Middle School, which was approved by the school board in October.
• Heard details on bids for GBHS track repairs. Bid packets were released on Nov. 14 and sent to six contractors. Bids were opened on Dec. 7. The contract went to the only bidder, United Sports Systems in Wichita, for “just under $65,000,” according to Superintendent Khris Thexton.
• Approved air circulation fans and auto controllers for the GBHS Panther Athletic Center, for a total cost of $9,401. P&S Electric will install the fans over the winter break for about $8,000.
• Approved the agreement with SJCF Architect Group, pending its review by the district’s attorney. The board voted to hire SJCF at the Nov. 13 meeting. The contract includes $18,500 for a district master-plan study, plus $250 per person per day for visits to the district
Assistant Superintendent Report - John Popp
• Had the first reading of the proposed GBHS Program of Studies book for 2018-2019.
• Learned about the Kansas Community That Cares survey that students in grades 6, 8 and 10 will take this month.
• Heard an update on assessments going on now in schools. The district is in the middle of benchmarking, with Aimsweb at the elementary schools and MAP (Measures of Academic Progress) at the high school, and the SRSS IE (Student Risk Screen Scale-Internalizing and Externalizing) for behavior district-wide. This data will be used to adjust the intervention groups district-wide.
Superintendent Report - Khris Thexton
• Learned about Rotary Club’s donation of dictionaries for 3rd-grade students.
• Discussed the Governmental Relations Seminar in Topeka, set for Jan. 11-12, 2018.
• Talked about building projects for next summer: Continued replacement of aging HVAC rooftop units in district; carpet at Park and Eisenhower; GBHS Roof; bleachers in the north gymnasium at GBMS; LED lighting at GBHS Memorial Stadium.
• Accepted a donation of $1,195 from the GBMS Booster Club to the GBMS Athletic Department for two Ball Rack Space Savers and four Coach Wipe-off Boards.
• Held an executive session for 15 minutes, to discuss employee performance.
• Approved the consent agenda which included approval of board minutes from Nov. 13 and 30; acceptance of bills and financial reports;and personnel: Lindsey Van Ornum, Family And Consumer Science (FACS) teacher at GBHS, will resign at the end of the semester and Michael Specht, special education teacher at GBHS, will resign at the end of the school year.
• Noted that Winter Recess will be Dec. 22, 2017, through Jan. 2, 2018. Jan. 2 will be a teacher work day.