It’s not always about the money when it comes to the agencies serving the needy in Barton and Pawnee counties. Sometimes, they also need basic supplies to help those walking through their doors.
That is the goal of the United Way of Central Kansas’ “Stuff the Bus” campaign.
“The purpose of Stuff the Bus is to help the agencies with items they could use during the year and it is just another way to pay it forward and help them financially,” UWCK Executive Director Julie Bugner Smith said. “Joining hands with school districts, businesses and others, the United Way hopes the community to provide much needed items.”
This year’s Stuff the Bus drives will take place in Great Bend from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 20, in the parking lots at Dillons, 4107 10th St., and Wal-Mart, 3503 10th, and in Larned from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 27, at Dillons, 423 Main St., and Shopko, 908 E. 14th.
Stuff the Bus items can also be dropped off at the Ellinwood Sunflower Bank location through September.
Dianne Call , UWCK Board bember is the coordinator for this project.
“We challenge businesses to collect items and bring down to the buses or the bank,” Smith said. “Thanks to the community for filling the buses and making a difference.”
The United Way is collecting:
• Blankets, stuffed animals
• Office supplies: copy paper, pens, tape, folders and binders, envelopes, notebooks, label tape for label machine, highlighters, white-out, legal pads, staples and paper clips, etc.
• Household items: paper towels, toilet paper, trash bags, facial tissue, laundry soap, cleaning supplies, sponges, comet, etc.
• Art/craft supplies: crayons, markers, construction paper, glue, child and adult scissors, glitter, acrylic paint, watercolors, poster board, stickers, Disposable dining ware: cups, paper or Styrofoam plates, paper napkins
• Toys: infant/toddler toys, preschool and school-age toys/games
• Baby supplies: diapers, wipes
• Travel size toiletries: soap, deodorant, cotton swabs, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner,
• New hygiene items: brushes, combs, toothbrushes
• Non-perishable snacks: drink boxes/juice packs, cracker packs, goldfish, fruit snacks
• Regular ground coffee
• Roller pads (for paint rollers), painters tape, brooms, dustpans, gardening gloves, canvas drop cloths. New home building materials
• Non perishable food and boys teen clothing,
• Skeins of yarn, regular and baby yarn - all colors
For more information, call Bugner-Smith at 620-792-2403 or go to uwck.org.