LARNED — The Pawnee County Commission met at 9 a.m. Jan. 12 for a regular meeting at the Pawnee County Courthouse. The following are approved minutes submitted by Pawnee County clerk Ruth Searight.
Pawnee County commissioners Kathy Bowman, chair; John C. Haas, Donna Pelton were present.
Searight gave commissioners the following for their review/approval — draft minutes Jan. 5, 2015; agenda; Blanket Bond Insurance contract, premium due of $217; two change orders.; and information on Foulston Siefkin Health Law Institute.
• Commissioners appointed Jerrod Skelton, Santa Fe Township Trustee.
• Commissioners approved and signed change orders No. 2014, 38 and 39.
• Commissioners read and approved minutes of Jan. 5, 2015.
• Commissioners voted to pay the 2015 dues to SWKAAA.
• John Settle, Pawnee County attorney, gave an update and summary of his meeting with the Kansas attorney general and others.
9:53 a.m.—Recessed to attend coffee hour on first floor in the lounge. Oaths to be given to newly elected officials. Also, recognition for John Haas serving four years as commissioner.
10:45 a.m.—Reconvened in commissioners room. Pelton, Bowman and new commissioner Gary Caplinger. The board was reorganized with chair Donna Pelton and vice-chair Gary Caplinger. There was no change in commissioners districts.
The Official Newspaper was designated as The Tiller and Toiler. The Official Depositories were designated as First State Bank and Trust, Farmers Bank, American State, Bank of the West, and Pawnee County Bank (Burdett).
• Dr. Edward Jones, M.D., is starting the second year of his four year term as 24th Judicial District Coroner. Dr. Jones, at an earlier date stated he was re-appointing all present special deputies to another one-year term, effective date would be when a new oath was taken, and filed with the county clerk.
• Commissioners approved and signed payroll change forms for Stacey Smith and J. B. Burdett’s raises.
11:25 a.m.—An executive session for five minutes was approved for personnel exception.
11:30 a.m.— Commissioners approved and signed payroll change form for Jessica Moore raise.
Commissioners approved and signed checks for payroll, bills and expenses.
• Kathy Jadwin, Pawnee County treasurer. Commissioners approved and signed payroll change form for Tami Keenan raise.
• Dolores Wren, Pawnee County register of deeds. Commissioners approved and signed payroll change form for Sande Burris raise.
Commissioners discussed a low maintenance road/closing a road.
1:30 p.m.—Robin Rziha, acting interim director, Pawnee County health department, gave updates on immunizations, birth rate, WIC Program and our stable population.
1:40 p.m.—An executive session for 30 minutes was approved for personnel exception.
2:10 p.m.—The proposal for Rhiza to serve as Pawnee County health department administrator and Cheryl Hoberecht to serve as local health officer was accepted on a six month trial period, effective retroactive to Jan. 4, 2015.
• Paul Carrington, Pawnee Valley Community Hospital, chief nursing officer, brought by the Pharmacy Grant 340b, and commissioners approved.
• Jerrod Smith, Trustee Logan Township, Jim McDonald, Logan Township person who maintains their roads, and Kurt Demel, Pawnee County highway administrator, were in attendance. The commissioners were advised that the state will redo K-19, and there was some concern regarding a road, and they thought it should be closed.
After discussion, most felt like it should be designated a minimum maintenance road. They will check with Mark Wagner, emergency management/zoning director for compliance.
2:45 p.m.—Kurt Demel, Pawnee County highway administrator, commissioners signed a road crossing permit.
He discussed 911 inspections, signs and annual inspections. Demel gave updates on plans, goals and activities.
Demel informed commissioners that he will need to attend annual training and re-certification for noxious weeds. Commissioners approved. Demel discussed the Timken road, and some haulers. He discussed other county business.
3:15 p.m.—Settle, Pawnee County attorney, Scott King, Pawnee County sheriff, Derek Slack, Pawnee County undersheriff, requested an executive session for 45 minutes for security exception.
4 p.m.—Rziha appointed Cheryl Hoberecht, local health officer. Commissioners approved taking Rziha and Hoberecht off the step pay schedule for now.
• Searight gave each commissioner a 2014 and 2015 interim year to date, and a clerk’s report. Offered to supply them with a complete general ledger (through 181) if requested.
4:30 p.m.—The meeting was adjourned. The next meeting was scheduled for 9 a.m. Jan. 19.