LARNED — The Pawnee County Commission met at 9 a.m. March 4 at the Pawnee County Courthouse. The following are approved minutes submitted by Pawnee Commission clerk Ruth Searight.
9 a.m. — Pawnee County commissioners Donna Pelton, Kathy Bowman and John C. Haas was absent.
The Feb. 25 meeting was cancelled due to the snowstorm.
Ruth Searight, Pawnee County clerk. Commissioners approved and signed the Hold Harmless agreement with the city of Rozel for the use of the Community Center for the General Election, April 1-2.
Commissioners signed the IBM Schedule for ServiceElite Acquired from an IBM business partner. Searight told commissioners that Thomson Reuters is recommending possibly replacing our AS400 next year, as the one we have will not be supported much longer.
Searight gave commissioners information on the sales/comp tax Pawnee County received in February, 2013.
She informed the commissioners that with all the changes to work comp, and the new forms, they should probably have some training for the department heads.
• Commissioners signed a replacement check No. 102178 for check No. 100034 that was written Dec. 12, 2011, and has been lost.
• Commissioners signed letters to Allan Taylor and David Spare regarding the bids on the completion of the walking trail at Camp Pawnee. Bid was given to Eakin’s, which was the low bid.
• Commissioners signed change orders No. 2012-70 through 76.
9:30 a.m. — Mark Bauer, VonFeldt, Bauer and VonFeldt, discussed the paperwork and check that the county received from the city of Larned.
• Commissioners discussed the draft copy of the new Pawnee County/City of Larned airport contract. They discussed the Airport Authority.
• Commissioners approved payroll and payables that John Haas, chair, signed last week. They approved and signed payables checks.
• Commissioners sorted through the mail.
• Commissioners discussed the opening of the new Pawnee Valley Community Hospital for April 28.
• Adam Hewson, was approved for the usage of Camp Pawnee for March 30 at noon, until noon, March 31. Rate will be $50 for 24 hour period.
10 a.m. — Mary Beth Herrmann, Pawnee County health administrator. Commissioners signed grant requests.
• Commissioners discussed a $5,000 grant the Larned Pride Committee has been awarded, which will help work the pumpkin patch.
10:30 a.m. — Denise Wood, Community Corrections/Juvenile Justice Authority director. Commissioners reviewed and discussed 2014 grants.
11 a.m. — Kurt Demel, Pawnee County highway administrator, gave road updates. Demel informed them of a meeting he has in Topeka.
• Mark Wagner, Pawnee County emergency management/zoning, discussed roads. He gave updates on his department.
• Commissioners discussed having a meeting with the Township Officers.
• Commissioners voted to pay the KCCA 2013 dues for $280.80.
• Scott King, Pawnee County sheriff stopped by.
1:30 p.m. — Commissioners discussed an airplane landing on the Timken Road.
• Commissioners discussed the need to check the septic system at Camp Pawnee.
• Jenny Manry, Larned Pride Committee, gave updates on the additional two grants that they have made application. She gave an update on the additional trees and flowers that will be planted this year. She discussed some additional playground equipment.
Other discussions talked about the possibility of a dump station and bath house. She discussed other grants, plans and goals.
It was discussed if there would be exercise equipment along the walking trail. The commissioners did not approve the exercise equipment along the walking trail.
Manry discussed a Camp Pawnee Fun Day. She discussed “Time for a Change - Keep it Moving.”
Manry discussed the deck along the Pawnee River that has been completed.
After discussion, commissioners approved the Walking Trail at Camp Pawnee will be left open year round.
Commissioners approved Camp Pawnee opening March 30 for the season.
2 p.m. — Leon Sanders, Camp Pawnee caretaker, discussed the need to have the inventory taken a Camp Pawnee every year.
Commissioners approved having the mower serviced. He discussed the need to have the sidewalk backfilled.
Commissioners discussed the Larned All School Reunion, and additional services that might be needed and providing extra dumpsters and additional trash pickup.
Commissioners discussed the need to get the septic tank at the lodge unplugged, and find the septic tank and dig it out. The bathroom at the lodge will be closed until the septic tank is fixed.
Commissioners discussed the bicycles and picnic tables at Camp Pawnee. Who is going to fix flat tires? They discussed the need to spray for the stickers and yellow burrs.
Commissioners said water sample needs to go to Dodge City.
Sanders needs to contract with the city of Larned, Marshall Turner, and see Scott Turner, R & B, to find out how many fire extinguishers are at Camp Pawnee.
2:50 p.m. — Linda Henderson, Pawnee Valley Community Hospital Foundation director.
Henderson gave the following updates regarding the PVCH Foundation — policies and procedures have been developed and approved; brochures are in 21 key locations in Pawnee County; CT scanner has been fully funded; 5-part lab analyzer has been fully funded; Healing Garden update; Legacy Tree update; Associate Giving Campaign; Pat Young Imaging Center dedication and coffee hour is June 20, from 9:30-10:30 a.m.: Charity Gala/Golf Classic Oct. 21-22, 2013; Healthcare Stars Program; Coffee Chat every Tuesday from 9:30 to 10:30, and the second Tuesday of the month will be Ask The Expert; PVCH Foundation website; and the PVCH Foundation newsletter.
After much discussion, commissioners approved taking some wording out of the Step Raise Chart Schedule.
• Commissioners read and approved minutes of Feb. 4, except for adding a word to clarify a paragraph.
• Commissioners read, corrected, deleted two paragraphs and approved minutes of special meeting, Feb. 8.
• Commissioners read, deleted part of a paragraph, and approved minutes of Feb. 11.
• Commissioners read, deleted a sentence and approved minutes of Feb. 18..
5 p.m. – The meeting was adjourned. The next meeting is scheduled at 9 a.m. March 11.