LARNED — The Pawnee County Commissioners met for a special meeting at 9 a.m. Aug. 29 at the Pawnee County Courthouse. Commissioners Kathy Bowman and chair Gary Caplinger were present. Donna Pelton was absent. Minutes are provided by Ruth Searight, Pawnee County clerk.
Commissioners read and approved the minutes of Aug. 22 and Aug. 24 special meeting, once the clerk was able to list the other people in attendance.
Searight gave the following to the commissioners for their review/approval — payables; agenda; Schaller quote; KAC voting delegate form; and correction to the July 18, 2016 minutes regarding Kay Schartz position.
Caplinger informed the county clerk he was calling a special meeting Tuesday, Sept. 6, as they would not meet Monday, Sept. 5, as it was a holiday. They will see Shae Veach, acting administrator, PVCH, and process payables/payroll, and conduct any other business as presented.
• Kurt Demel, Pawnee County highway administrator, signed Project No. 73C-4812-01, HSIP-C481 (201), High roll risk, Signing Construction, KDOT/Pawnee County, Agreement No. 228-169. Road Signing Contract. Discussed the Airport/Toles/New School/Water/Drainage.
• Roger Higgins, Camp Pawnee caretaker, informed commissioners that an individual was living at Camp Pawnee in a tent, and someone stole his belongings. Someone moved the picnic tables.
• Commissioners read the 2nd quote from Schaller, for $13,852, to block the 3rd and 4th floors. Commissioners approved, to be paid from courthouse general.
• Robin Rziha, Pawnee County health administrator, presented three proposed 2017 budget changes.
• Discontinue the Level IV Office Assistant III position.
• Add $1,343 to the WIC budget.
• Chang office hours, January, 2017, to a four-day week, with extra hours Monday through Thursday.
After discussion, Commissioners approved.
Searight gave commissioners a clerk’s report, interim and general ledger for their review.
9:55 am.—Doug McNett, attorney, discussed the county attorney’s proposed 2017 budget. After discussion, it was agreed the budget would be $245,000.
• Kurt Demel, Pawnee County highway administrator, discussed his proposed 2017 budget, and will get with the county clerk to look at other figures.
1:30 p.m.—Rod Wheaton, Pawnee County solid waste supervisor, reviewed the Pawnee County construction/demolition landfill charges and possibly having to increase some of them. He presented and discussed the groundwater monitoring, as this will be a “5 year event” and all of the wells will be sampled and analyzed for the KDHE recommended groundwater parameters.
After discussion, Commissioners approved the new rates for tires as was presented, and effective September, 2016.
• Searight discussed the election information from the Secretary of State, and the cautions and safe guards to have in place.
• Commissioners discussed RC Computers and the icons he installed on three computers April 21, 2016, that were not approved, or informed he was installing. It was agreed, the actions should be reported to the Secretary of State.
• Commissioners discussed proposed budgets for 2017.
• The meeting was adjourned. The next meeting was scheduled at 9 a.m. Sept. 6.