By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Power interruption in Hoisington results in Nixle alert
Small grass fire caused by sparks; damage to pole minimal
utility pole transformers.jpg
Utility pole transformers. - photo by Courtesy

HOISINGTON — The Hoisington Police department alerted the public through Nixle Tuesday morning that power pole damage between the 200 and 300 block of Cedar Street as the cause of interruptions in service to residents on the East side of Hoisington.  Power was expected to be restored by the end of the day.  

Hoisington Fire Chief Jerry Stricker stated that electrical workers were attending to the pole where a transformer popped.  Sparks started a grass fire at the base of the pole.  The workers acted fast, and had the fire out before the fire department arrived on the scene.  

“On a cold day like today when it’s windy, it’s nice to have something small,” Stricker said. “We’re fortunate that was all it was.”  

City Manager Jonathan Mitchell was not available for comment.