The Great Bend USD 428 school board approved the following contributions and grant applications on Tuesday:
• Two indoor soccer goals, a value of $150, to Jefferson Elementary School, from an anonymous donor.
• A $10 check and a $766 check from the Kansas Department of Corrections to Barton County Special Services toward the therapy dog initiative.
• Linda Johnson, representing the school nurses, approval to submit a grant application to Cox Communication to secure a Spot Vision Screener for testing students. The Spot Vision Screener enables identification of eye problems (ages 6 months through adulthood) which otherwise can be undetectable. Cost of the unit is approximately $7,800.
• The district accepts grant funding (approximate value $2,000) for financial literacy curriculum from the Goldman Sachs Philanthropy Fund.
• Generous contributions totaling $1,755 have come to the GBHS Hall of Fame from the following: Michael Allison, $25; Becker Tire, $100; CT Homes LLC, $100; Club 1 Fitness $100; Tatum Dunekack, DDS, LLC, $100; Farmers Bank and Trust, $250; Francis Financial Services, $130; Randy Goering, $50; Holste & Bowers, $100; Keller Real Estate, $250; Mark’s Custom Signs, $100; Office Products Inc., $150; Portraits by Shane, $50; Stueder Contractors, $250.
• Cindy Sandy, Kansas Reading Roadmap (KRR) director at Park School, received approval to seek several grants and contributions for use at Park’s Families and Schools Together (FAST) events: Gambino’s Pizza, free pizzas for a FAST meeting; grant donations from Wichita Music for the Wichita Music Theatre; 70-80 free tickets to a special program June 30; Casey’s grant asking for pizzas; Subway grant to provide food for any school program or FAST night; apparel from Harley-Davidson to give away to kids in need or for FAST baskets; apparel from Vera Bradley for KRR students or FAST baskets; tickets to Kansas Speedway to give away to FAST families; grant application for Kansas Cosmosphere tickets.