By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Solida tells officers he shot his wife
Distraught, the Oklahoma man quoted as saying he may not be alive much longer
new deh yet another update okla map

WOODWARD, Okla. – Initial reports indicated that the rural Oklahoma man charged with shooting his wife shot her accidentally last Friday. However, in a 911 call from the woman herself a short time later, she said her husband shot her following a domestic disturbance in their home, according to documents from Woodward County, Okla., District Attorney’s Office.
The arrest warrant paints a picture of a distraught Chris Leslie Solida, upset over what he had done when he bundled his two young children into his sport utility vehicle and fled to Kansas.
Solida, 43 or Woodward County, Okla., remains in the Barton County Jail. He faces a felony count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in Oklahoma with a bond of $500,000, as well as two counts of aggravated child endangerment in Barton County, with a bond of $50,000.
Solida wound up in Great Bend with his two kids after the shooting. He surrendered to authorities following a tense four-hour standoff late Friday night.
According to the warrant filed in Woodward by Aime Gates of the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, at about 2:50 p.m. Friday, Woodward County Sheriff’s Office received a call from Woods County Sheriff’s Office, Alva, Okla., saying Solida had “accidentally” shot his wife in the head and needed an ambulance at his residence, just a few miles south of the Woods County line.
However, about 20 minutes later, Woods County Sheriff’s Office again contacted Woodward County Sheriff’s Office and advised that Solida’s wife, Brandy Solida, was on the phone. Brandy advised that they had a fight and he had shot her, and that her husband fled with the two children.
Freedom, Okla., Emergency Medical Services responded and found her on the floor in the bathroom. Emergency medical technicians saw that Brandy had sustained what appeared to be gunshot wounds to the forehead and neck. They also noticed spent shell casings in the bathroom.
Brandy told one of the EMTs “Chris shot me.”
Also home at the time of the shooting was Brandy’s 13-year-old daughter. She said she had been staying at the house rented by the Solidas since August along with two other children, ages 10 months, and 2 years.
The teen said that about 11 a.m. she took a shower and heard screaming and then three gun shots. When she got out, the door between the kitchen and the hall, which led to bedrooms and another bathroom, was closed. Solida told her not to open the door, so she dried her hair and applied her makeup.
According to the teen’s statement, Solida asked her to help pack various items for the younger children and put them in his blue Ford Expedition. The two had a brief conversation, but the girl had a difficult time understanding Solida because he was crying.
During that exchange, Solida said, “I hurt your mom,” and that he would “not be alive much longer,” the girl recalled.
The distraught Solida then drove off with the kids.
When the teen returned to the house, she found Brandy lying on the floor of the bathroom. Brandy had injuries to her head and was bleeding.
Brandy called 911. The girl stayed with her mother until EMS and law enforcement arrived.
Brandy told her daughter that Solida had shot her. The girl was aware that Solida had guns, but did not know the type of guns or where the guns were located.
Brandy was transported to Woodward Regional Hospital and was later airlifted to University of Oklahoma Medical Center where she was treated for gunshot wounds. It was determined Brandy sustained three gunshot wounds to her head and neck.
OSBI special agents located three shell casings which appeared to be .22 caliber at the house.
Meanwhile, at about 5:45 p.m. Friday, Solida was located by Great Bend law enforcement in the parking lot between Perkins Restaurant and the Best Western Angus Inn. When he surrendered, Solida confessed to shooting Brandy to Kansas Bureau of Investigation agents and a Barton County Sheriff’s Office detective, the warrant reads.
Officers searched the SUV and found a .22 caliber revolver with .22 caliber short and long ammunition.
The kids were placed in the custody of Kansas Department of Children and Families. Oklahoma Child Protective Services representatives said they could not comment on the status of the children.
Last Saturday, Brandy was released from OU Medical Center to the care of her family.