This week “The Rifleman” monument is getting a professional cleaning and waxing. Here are some facts about the monument, courtesy of the Barton County Historical Society:
The Rifleman stands guard on the north side of the Barton County Courthouse Square in Great Bend to honor Civil War veterans, both black and white, who fought for the preservation of the Union. The artist was Frederick C. Hibbard, who cast the sculpture in 1915 at the Florentine Brotherhood Foundry, Chicago, Ill.
It was dedicated Nov. 19, 1915.
The 8-foot-tall bronze soldier statue, at arms rest, is mounted on a granite base.
An inscriptions on one bronze tablet reads: “Erected and Dedicated By Ira D. Brougher - Department Commander To Pap Thomas Post No. 52 - Grand Army Of The Republic - Department Of Kansas - Veterans Of The War Of 1861-1865 - A.D. 1915 - “Lest We Forget.”
Other tablets list the names of GAR members, department officers and post commanders.
The base is approximately 8.5’ x 5.5’ x 5.5’ and weighs 1,500 pounds.