One hundred twenty children received Halloween buckets and costumes this past Saturday at the Great Bend Public Library’s costume giveaway, according to Kiwanis President Barb Esfeld. This is the third year for the library and civic organization to collect and share new and used costumes.
The drive was “awesome” with plenty of community participation, Esfeld said.
“We had a wonderful turnout,” said Trish McKinley, assistant children’s librarian. There was a coloring station and refreshments for those waiting to try on costumes.
Several costumes were left over and will go into storage for next year’s exchange. Used costumes can be dropped off at the library after Halloween. Another request for costumes and donations will be made next fall.
McKinley said the sponsors hope to have even more costumes next year as the exchange continues to grow.
“We know there is a need out there,” she said.
Trick or treat/events
Halloween in Monday, Oct. 31, and children will be trick-or-treating in community neighborhoods.
Other opportunities for trick or treaters include:
• Kayettes Trick or Treat for UNICEF - Students from Great Bend High School’s Kayettes will do their trick-or-treating on Thursday, Oct. 27, starting at 7 p.m. Instead of sweets, they’ll be asking for donations to help kids who need more than candy.
• Judgement House - A walk-through drama at the Church of the Nazarene, 4811 Broadway, will be open from 6-10 p.m. Friday, Oct. 28; 5-10 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 29; and 12:30-6 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 30.
• Halloween Parade - Children can wear their costumes and go trick-or-treating at downtown businesses at 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 29. Musical performer Randy Sauer will entertain in Jack Kilby Square until the sponsors from the Kiwanis Club choose the best costumes and award prizes.
• Zoo Boo - This popular event at Great Bend’s Brit Spaugh Zoo will run from 5-8:30 p.m. Saturday.
• Trunk or Treat - Area churches sometimes offer these safe events for young trick-or-treaters. First Christian Church, 5230 Broadway, will have one from 3-5 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 30.
• Trick or Treat at the Highrise - Great Bend Housing Authority invites everyone to come by the High Rise, 1101 Kansas Ave., from 5-8 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 31. Enter at the southwest ramp and exit at the northeast ramp.