Great Bend High School and Great Bend Middle School will now allow more spectators at events, USD 428 Public Information Director Andrea Bauer said. The change is in compliance with a recent decision by the Kansas State High School Activities Association (KSHSAA) Board of Directors, which approved raising the number of spectators for winter activities from two to four per each participant’s family, effective Friday, Jan. 29.
Participants include players, coaches, student managers, cheer squads, dance teams, pep bands and student journalists.
Here are the new guidelines for admission into high school and middle school events:
• Participants shall submit the names of up to four spectators to their coach/sponsor no later than two days prior to the event. Spectators shall be limited to parents, stepparents, siblings and/or grandparents, not to exceed four per participant’s family.
• Spectators shall check in at the ticket gate and must purchase a ticket to the activity. Only those whose names appear on the spectator list will be admitted.
• Changes to the spectator list must be submitted to the High School Activities Office by calling 793-1560, or the Middle School office, 793-1510, prior to the event.
• The spectator list should only contain the names of those planning to attend the event. District officials would like to allow the student body access to some of the spectator spots if it does not reach capacity to an event.
• Social distancing between spectator parties will be required, along with masks.
These changes apply to basketball, bowling and wrestling. Spectator admission to swim meets is to be determined. Each school’s regulations may vary.