The Great Bend USD 428 Board of Education paid tribute last week to the many volunteers who serve Great Bend students. Superintendent Khris Thexton said volunteers provide an estimated 123.05 hours each week across the district, based on a 32-week school year, with many additional hours relating to special events.
Those who supervise children in some way go through the same background check as a teacher, Thexton said.
A summary of volunteers by school follows.
• Parents/PTA - 9 persons, 1 hour each per month
• Parents/Site Council - 9 persons, 1 hour each per month
• GBHS Students - 2 persons, 1 hour each per week
• EARS (Everyone Able to Read by Sharing) - 2 persons, 2.5 hours each per week
• Classroom volunteer - 1 person, 2.5 hours per week
• Parent PTO - 4 persons, 1 hour each per month
• GBHS Exploring Careers - 2 persons, 1.5 hours each per week
• Custodian Volunteer - 1 person, 1.5 hours per day
• Lunch Buddies - 4 persons, 20 minutes each per day
• Parents/PTA - 6 persons, 1 hour each per month
• Parents/Site Council - 4 persons, 0.25 hours each per year
• Mentors - 7 persons, 1 hour each per week
• Booster Club - 6 persons, 4 hours each per week and 1 person, 1 hour per week
Great Bend Middle School
• Parents (8th-grade recognition) - 30 persons, 10 hours each per year
• Parents/Site Council - 8 persons, 10 hours each per year
• Panther Booster Club - 15 persons, 15 hours each per year
• Concession Stand - 5 persons, about 94 hours each per year
Great Bend High School
• Parents (open house, debate judging, etc.) - 35 persons, 10 hours each per year
• Panther Parents (dances, conferences, etc.) - 75 persons, 8 hours each per year
Washington Early Childhood/Helping Hands Preschool
• GBHS Student - 1 person, 6 hours per week
Walking School Bus
In addition to other volunteer hours, the Walking School Bus is a 12-week program which utilizes approximately 25.4 weekly volunteer hours during those weeks. There are six volunteers covering three routes to Riley Elementary School and 10.4 volunteers for two routes to Park Elementary.