By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Basement fire damages home
GB fire station 1 web

An explosion woke the occupants of 806 Hubbard St. around 2:20 a.m. Monday. Great Bend Fire Chief Mike Napolitano said the couple living at that address escaped through smoke and heat and went to a neighbor’s house to call 911.
After confirming that all residents were out of the house, firefighters advanced a hose line into the basement, encountering fire in the northwest area where the owner has reloading equipment. The fire was extinguished but there was considerable fire damage to the basement and smoke/heat throughout the house.
The GBFD’s investigation continued Monday morning. Firefighters were assisted by the Great Bend Police Department, Wheatland Electric and Kansas Gas.