By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire reported at USD 428 Central Kitchen
Food service will still be available Friday
fire central kitchen 2019
Great Bend Firefighters return to a truck shortly before 7 p.m. Thursday, after responding to a small fire at Great Bend USD 428's Central Kitchen. Breakfast and lunch will be served Friday, Sept. 13. - photo by Susan Thacker

A Great Bend Police Officer passing by the USD 428 Central Kitchen at 2201 Broadway Ave. heard a smoke alarm going off Thursday evening and alerted the Great Bend Fire Department.

Deputy Fire Chief Brent Smith said the alarm was reported at 6:06 p.m. and firefighters found smoke and a small fire. They ventilated the building. No one was inside at the time and there were no injuries, Smith said.

Firefighters were on-scene for about an hour.

USD 428 spokesman Andrea Bauer said the fire was in a small dryer and was quickly extinguished.

Food service will be available Friday, Sept. 13, in all buildings. Breakfast and lunch will be served. Adjustments to the menu may be required.