A Great Bend Police Officer passing by the USD 428 Central Kitchen at 2201 Broadway Ave. heard a smoke alarm going off Thursday evening and alerted the Great Bend Fire Department.
Deputy Fire Chief Brent Smith said the alarm was reported at 6:06 p.m. and firefighters found smoke and a small fire. They ventilated the building. No one was inside at the time and there were no injuries, Smith said.
Firefighters were on-scene for about an hour.
USD 428 spokesman Andrea Bauer said the fire was in a small dryer and was quickly extinguished.
Food service will be available Friday, Sept. 13, in all buildings. Breakfast and lunch will be served. Adjustments to the menu may be required.