By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
First responders called to early-morning LSH building fire
gb tribune logo

LARNED — The fire department at Larned State Hospital requested assistance from first responders in the Larned community in battling a fire in an occupied wing of LSH’s Adult Treatment Center early Thursday morning.

According to dispatch and departmental reports, LSH called for assistance at approximately 1:30 a.m. The Larned Fire Department, in response, observed flames from an HVAC unit at the top of the building.

Gaining access through the ceiling, it was observed that one of the HVAC unit’s blower motors had apparently overheated and caught fire, threatening the unit and charring electrical wiring. 

The Pawnee County Sheriff’s Office was informed of the fire at approximately 1:33 a.m. to assist LSH’s efforts in evacuating patients from the fire vicinity. PCSO deputies reported leaving the scene at approximately 3 a.m. The LFD reported leaving the scene with the fire extinguished at approximately 4 a.m.

No injuries to responders nor patients were reported in the incident. Building fire damage was limited to the HVAC unit location.