HAYS — Homecoming week at Fort Hays State University is planned for Monday, Sept. 27, through Saturday, Oct. 2.
With the imminent changing of seasons comes some of Fort Hays State’s favorite autumn activities. The fall semester is well on its way, football games are back in full swing, and FHSU’s 101st Homecoming is right around the corner. After canceling most Homecoming events in 2020 and pivoting others to virtual platforms, the university is excited to announce that Homecoming 2021 events will all be held in-person.
Check out the packed schedule of Homecoming events where there is something for everyone. Tiger fans should start making plans now as some events require advance registration with a registration deadline of Friday, Sept. 24. Visit www.FHSUHomecoming.com for a full schedule of events, to register for activities, and for any updates or additional information.
Monday, Sept. 27
• Homecoming royalty meet and greet (Memorial Union north patio) – 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Tuesday, Sept. 28
• Amazing Race around FHSU and Hays (in-person and online) – Clues will be shared via Student Engagement social media.
Wednesday, Sept. 29
• Make Your Own Pennant with Forsyth Library (both on-campus and online students)
Thursday, Sept. 30
• Homecoming Golf Tournament (Smoky Hill Country Club) – Registration closed; wait list for additional participants/teams
• Coach’s Corner (Smoky Hill Country Club) – Lunch with Tiger football coach Chris Brown – noon (registration deadline Sept. 24)
• Tiger bonfire (Robbins Center) – Food trucks open at 7 p.m., bonfire and pep rally at 7:30 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 1
• Homecoming registration (Robbins Center lobby) – 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Ribbon cutting for Fischli-Wills Center for Student Success – 9 a.m.
• Oktoberfest (Municipal Park) – 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. – The Volga German Society Oktoberfest celebration of German Russians in Ellis County. Oktoberfest includes activities, musical entertainment, and booths offering crafts, food, and beverages.
• Campus walking tour (Memorial Union Sunset Atrium) – 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
• Half Century Club Luncheon and Induction (Memorial Union) – 11 a.m. social and noon luncheon – Induction of classes of 1970 and 1971 – (registration deadline Sept. 24)
• Class reunion campus/Hays bus tour (Memorial Union Sunset Atrium) – 2:30 p.m.
• Alumni and Friends Awards Banquet (Memorial Union) – 6 p.m. reception and 7 p.m. banquet – (registration deadline Sept. 24)
Saturday, Oct. 2
• Homecoming registration (Memorial Union Sunset Atrium) – 8 to 11 a.m.
• Breakfast with the President (Memorial Union) – 8:30 a.m. (registration deadline Sept. 24)
• Class of 1961 and 1960 Reunion Breakfast (Memorial Union) – 8:30 a.m. (registration deadline Sept. 24)
• Class of 1971 and 1970 Reunion Breakfast (Memorial Union) – 8:30 a.m. (registration deadline Sept. 24)
• FHSU Homecoming parade (Main Street) – 11 a.m.
• Oktoberfest (Municipal Park) – 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. – The German celebration continues with a second day of activities and vendor booths.
• FHSU vs University of Nebraska-Kearney football game – 6:30 p.m. pre-game ceremonies and 7 p.m. game kickoff (Lewis Field Stadium)
According to the 1939 “Reveille,” FHSU’s longtime yearbook, the university’s first official Homecoming was celebrated on Thanksgiving Day in 1920 – back when the college was known as Fort Hays Kansas State Normal School. Since then, Homecoming events have evolved, but the values and pride for the university have remained the same.