Great Bend High School has announced its 2018 inductee to the GBHS Hall of Fame. Recognized will be Matt Friedeman, a 1977 GBHS graduate, former radio broadcaster, writer and theology professor.
The Hall of Fame ceremony and luncheon are scheduled for 11:45 a.m. Friday, Feb. 15, at Stoneridge Country Club. 1438 24th St. in Great Bend. The induction ceremony will take place between the girls and boys basketball games against Dodge City High School that night in the GBHS gym. A reception will follow the games in the Jack Kilby Commons and the public is invited.
Ticket sales and prices will be announced at a later date.
This marks the 11th year for the GBHS Hall of Fame. Past inductees include globe-trotting JanSport founder Skip Yowell and microchip inventor Jack Kilby.
After the nominations come in, a committee made up of administrators, teachers, school board representatives and local residents make the final determination. Nominees must be students, teachers or community members who have made a significant contribution to community or country.
A display case in the GBHS commons contains plaques and memorabilia paying tribute to all the recipients.
Below are the biography of inductee Matt Friedeman as submitted by those who nominated him.
Matt Friedeman is currently a professor of evangelism and discipleship at Wesley Biblical Seminary, Jackson, Miss. He is married to Mary Friedeman, and they have six children, Caleb, Joshua, Elijah, Hannah, Ezekiel and Isaiah.
After graduating from GBHS, Friedeman earned a bachelor’s degree in secondary education and a master’s degree in education from the University of Kansas in 1981 and 1982. He then earned a master’s in theology from Asbury Theological Seminary in 1985 and a Ph.D in education from KU in 1987.
His resume is varied. It includes:
• Played football and track at Great Bend High School – still holds the discuss record of 198’ 11”
• Honors in track at KU – 3 year captain of KU track team, National Collegiate Athletic Association All-American, Big Eight champion and selected to compete in the 1980 Olympic trials in the discuss
• Had a radio talk show broadcast daily on American Family Radio
• Contributing columnist for the Jackson Clarion-Ledger
• Founding pastor of Day Spring Community Church
• Political commentator for WAPT/Channel 16 in Jackson
• Mission area coordinator and chaplain at Hinds County Detention Center and Penal Farm
• Traveled to Nigeria, Kenya, Thailand, Hungary, East Europe and the Netherlands speaking and conducting seminars
• Written over 1,200 columns, articles, papers and book chapters
Great Bend High School Hall of Fame inductees include:
2008 – Skip Yowell, John Keller and Jack Kilby
2009 – Jack Bowman, Sean Murphy and Tim Weiser
2010 – Jenny Allford and Glenn Opie
2011 – Don Halbower and Dan McGovern
2012 – Karla (Bender) Leibham and Bill McKown
2013 – Allen Keiswetter and Celia LaBranche
2014 – George Nossaman and Randy Goering
2015 – Shannon Schartz and Ty Cobb
2016 – Jean Cavanaugh and Mike Goss
2017 – Larry Becker and Jim Calcara
2018 – Matt Friedeman