By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Gas stored in oven ignites Tuesday morning
Placeholder Image

At 9:49 a.m. Tuesday, Great Bend Fire Department was dispatched to 5817 16th St. Terrace for a report of an oven on fire. According to a report released Wednesday, crews found light smoke coming from Apartment 42. Inside, they found a smoldering fire along the baseboard of the wall behind the stove and extinguished the remaining fire.
The investigation showed the occupant had stored a mini-propane bottle in the bottom of the stove. The owner stated he turned the oven on to cook a pizza. After a few minutes he heard some popping and saw fire coming from behind the stove.
The occupants poured water on the fire and called 911.
“It appeared that when the oven was turned on the burner flame impinged on the propane bottle causing it to vent releasing propane into the flame and causing the fire to flash,” Firefighter Matt Peterson said. “The cause of the fire was ruled accidental after investigation by the Great Bend Fire Department and the Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office.”