By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
GB man arrested for kidnapping
Suspect allegedly held woman against her will
new deh kidnapping miles jackson mug
Miles Jackson

 A Great Bend man is in custody following an alleged kidnapping that came to light Tuesday afternoon when the alleged female victim jumped through a window of a home on McKinley and called for help, Great Bend Police Chief Cliff Couch said.

At about 3:45 p.m. Tuesday, officers were dispatched to 1234 McKinley Street in reference to a 911 call in which the dispatcher couldn’t speak with anyone, but could hear a male and female talking in the background. The male sounded to be making threats toward the female.

According to Couch, Sgt. Jason Settle, officer Ethan Thomas and officer David Simmons responded to the scene in order to investigate. While they were trying to make contact with someone inside the house, a female dove out of a window on the north side of the house, while yelling “help me, it’s Miles Jackson.” 

The female victim had obvious injuries to her face and body and appeared distraught, Couch said. Officers immediately took the woman to a safe distance and sought medical assistance for her from Great Bend Fire/EMS. While doing this, they also ensured that the area around the house was secure and that no one could escape.

Officers continued trying to make contact with the subject inside, whom the woman advised was Miles Jackson, age 32. Eventually, Jackson came to the door and officers secured the inside of the house to ensure no one else was in danger.

While in the house, they encountered Nicholas Espinoza, age 24, and Nikalem Helms, age 19. Officers later discovered that Espinoza had an outstanding warrant, for which he was taken into custody. 

The woman who jumped out of the window advised officers that she and Jackson had been in a relationship for some time, but she had left him recently. About a week ago, he called her and asked to work things out with her. She agreed to come stay with him in Great Bend, but wanted to leave several days later when he became controlling of her. 

She told officers that he wouldn’t let her leave and eventually began hitting her. He also broke her cell phone after she told him she was going to leave him again. The victim claimed that she eventually used Mr. Jackson’s phone to call 911 and then threw it under a bed in hopes that someone would come save her.

Jackson was taken into custody and turned over to the Barton County Jail with recommended charges of aggravated kidnapping. Charges may be added or modified after the Barton County Attorney has the opportunity to review the case.