Late winter storms kept the Barton County Road and Bridge Department busy, even as winter turned to spring, the County Commission learned Monday morning.
Road and Bridge Director Dale Phillips reported that snow removal was performed on March 10 and on March 24. Four hundred sixty-four tons of sand\salt mix was used in the 259 staff hours spent on the events.
In addition, on Saturday, March 23, crews were called out for ice control. The parking lots and sidewalks at County owned buildings were cleared.
This was brought up during Barton County Administrator Richard Boeckman’s bi-weekly county activity report. Other Road and Bridge business included:
• Bridge and Asphalt crews installed seven culverts, performed extensive ditch and shoulder repairs on Southeast 40 Road.
• Over the reporting period, sign staff replaced 100 bridge signs and repaired nine address locator signs.
• Twelve signs were vandalized.
• Signs were fabricated for both the Landfill and Health Department.
• Building repairs continue utilizing in-house labor. Worked included repairing and painting floors and walls, setting up computer stations and rebuilding the entry way.
• All staff members attended mandatory Mine Safety and Health safety training to certify for 2013.
• Regular work include:
• Mechanical repairs and general service of equipment.
• Sand pumping.
• Hauling sand to stockpiles in preparation for the summer work.
• The Asphalt Zipper machine was readied for work this summer.
• Staff completed vegetation control spraying around sign posts and guardrails.
• Spraying County roadways for vegetation control was started – completion goal date is April 30th.
• Staff attended mandatory Mine Safety Training.
• Staff marked three graves and six grave markers.
• Snow removal and road repairs were completed.
• Repairs were made to a storage building.
• The U.S. flags were replaced at both Memorial Parks.
In other departmental reports:
Sheriff Brian Bellendir
Inmates booked, released, miles transported and hours involved
Males – 56, 44, 14, 1,423 and 32
Females – 15, 14, 6, 360 and 10.5
Juveniles – 0
Trustee’s work detail county, city, & non-profit
Community services – 20
Laundry – 48
North and south buildings – 47
Kitchen – 148
Total hours worked – 263
Calls responded to – 237
Incident cases taken – 40
Accident cases taken – 0
Total documents – 318
Total served – 243
Lily Akings, Health Director
Total clinic contacts – 187
Family Planning – 45
HIV – 2
Healthy Start – 7
KBH – 3
Immunization – 88
TB – 16
Maternal and infant – 13