LARNED — The Pawnee County Health Department has started giving flu and pneumonia vaccine under the direction of
Mary Beth Herrmann.
The health department has received all of its order for FluMist vaccine for use in children starting at age 2 years through adults up to 49 years of age who do not have asthma or other medical contra indications. The health department also has the high dose flu vaccine.
Flu vaccine is available on Wednesday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the health department. No appointment is necessary.
Other scheduled locations, time and place:
• Monday, Sept. 19 — Pawnee Plaza, 9:30 to 10:30 a.m.
• Thursday, Sept. 29 — Pamida, 10 to 11:30 a.m. 908 E. 14th, Larned
• Monday, Oct. 3 — Rozel Community Building, 9 to 10:30 a.m.; Burdett Senior Center, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.; Garfield Community Center, 2 to 3 p.m.
• Saturday, Oct. 8 — Progressive Therapy & Sports Medicine, starting at 7:30 a.m. until race is finished, 117 W. 6th, Larned
• Saturday, Oct. 29 — First State Bank during the Health Fair, 6:30 to 10:30 a.m., 6th and Main, Larned.
For Fast Service: Download the consent form under “Forms” at http://www.kalhd.org/pawnee/
Wear short sleeves and bring your insurance card. Fees or shots are Flu $25, FluMist $35, High Dose $50.
Medicare covers flu and pneumonia vaccine. Other insurances accepted. Sliding fee scale available if requested. Co-pays and deductable are the responsibility of the clients.
Influenza activity usually lasts from October to May in the U.S. The Center for Disease Control recommends that everyone 6 months of age and older get their yearly flu vaccine as soon as vaccines become available in their community. There is no shortage of flu vaccine this year.
The 2011-12 vaccine provides protection against A/H1N1 (pandemic) influenza and two other influence viruses — influenza A/H3N2 and influenza B. Because the vaccine mutates, the vaccine is updated every year to include the newest strains. High dose flu vaccine is recommended for people 65 years of age and older to provide better immunity.
Questions can be directed to the Pawnee County Health Department, 715 Broadway, Courthouse, Larned, KS, 620-285-6963 or 800-211-4401.