HAYS — Fort Hays State University’s Science and Mathematics Education Institute (SMEI) is hosting a variety of summer camps for youth in grades 2 through 8. Camps are filling quickly despite accepting 24 students per camp and restricting students to a maximum of two camps each.
All camps run four days per week, Monday through Thursday. Sessions are all three hours each – some in the morning from 9 a.m. to noon and others in the afternoon from 1 to 4 p.m.
This year’s camps include:
• Main Street Math Camp for grades 2-3 - from 9 a.m. to noon - June 5-8. Student entrepreneurs will build a business according to their passions in life. Camp will culminate in a ribbon cutting ceremony to open their business for parents on the final day.
• Calling All Chefs for Math Camp for grades 4-6 - from 1 to 4 p.m. June 6-9. Students will be working as a team to create daily menus with hands-on math projects to eat and enjoy with your fun-loving, hungry teammates so healthy lives can endure!
• Saving the Playground Science Camp for grades 2-5 – from 1 to 4 p.m. June 12-15. Students will create sun protection for a playground with household objects.
• Animal Crossing Science Camp for grades 2-5 – from 9 a.m. to noon June 19-22. Students will create design, construct, and test a solution to the problem of animals cut off from their habitat by highways.
• Camp North Star for grades 5-7 - from 1 to 4 p.m. June 19-22. Explore this camp for budding engineers. Activities will include working with CAD Design to explore rocket designs, Newton’s laws of motion, nanotechnology, robotics, and solid fuel rockets.
• Robo Challenge Camp for grades 6-8 - from 1 to 4 p.m. June 26-29. Custom build robots that can operate in real world situations. For students with experience with robotics.
The registration fee for each camp is $70, and the registration deadline is Wednesday, May 3. Registration will be on a first-come, first-serve basis with a maximum of two camps per student.
For more information about the summer camps, contact Cari Rohleder by phone at 785-628-4743 or by email at email@example.com. More information and registration brochures can be found at https://www.fhsu.edu/smei/camps/.