Great Bend Police Chief David Bailey announced this week that the city tags for UTVs (micro utility trucks) have arrived. The Great Bend Police Department personnel were selected by the council to maintain the registration and inspection of these vehicles beginning Wednesday, Jan. 1.
On Nov. 4, the Great Bend City Council passed ordinance number 4345 authorizing the operation of micro utility trucks within the city limits of Great Bend, subject to specific requirements and limitations set out in the ordinance, Bailey said.
Below is listed the process to register a UTV with the City of Great Bend:
• All UTVs are subject to the Standard Traffic Ordinance (STO) for Kansas.
• All Great Bend Micro Utility Trucks tagged through the City of Great Bend will be reported to the Barton County Appraisers Office, as their office has requested.
The City of Great Bend micro utility truck registration process is as follows:
• Call the GBPD at 620-793-4120 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday to set an appointment for an inspection. Inspections and registrations will generally be completed on Fridays between the hours of 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. unless other arrangements are approved.
• Vehicle registration must be completed in person by the person listed on the title. Inspection of the UTV will be at the Great Bend Police Department.
An application form must be filled out prior to the inspection. These forms may be picked up at the GBPD Records Division Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
What to bring:
• Completed registration application form
• The UTV to be inspected
• The vehicle title or certificate
• Your driver’s license
• Proof of insurance for the vehicle to be registered .
• Payment for your registration fee ($150)
• See Great Bend City Ordinance # 4345 for details.
• The UTV will then be inspected by a member of the Great Bend Police Department. A completed inspection form will be filled out and signed by GBPD personnel.
The registration plate must be displayed on the back of the vehicle beneath the tag light (STO 147c.)
Anyone with questions about this ordinance or the process to obtain a tag can call the Great Bend Police Department, 620-793-4120.