By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
GBPD arrests Tennessee attempted murder suspect
Pierre Taylor
Pierre Taylor

Great Bend Police arrested a 23-year-old Tennessee man Monday morning on a Shelby County, Tenn., warrant for attempted first-degree murder. 

According to Great Bend Police Chief David Bailey, sometime Sunday night, GBPD officers received a citizen report that the man, identified as Pierre Taylor of Memphis, Tenn., might be in the Great Bend area. 

Officers then worked through the night Sunday to investigate the information and to verify Taylor’s whereabouts. According to Bailey, Taylor was located and arrested at around 10:17 a.m. Monday in the 2700 block of 10th Street in Great Bend. He was booked into the Barton County Jail on the Tennessee warrant, where is currently being held with no bond.

Taylor was being sought by the Memphis Police Department in connection with an incident which occurred there Aug. 20.

According to a report from Lt. Karen Rudolph with the Memphis Police Department, on that date, MPD officers responded to an aggravated assault at an address in Memphis.

The victim stated he was walking down the street while on the phone, heading to a friend’s house, when the suspect, who police identified as Taylor, approached him, raised a handgun and stated, ”you know what this is.” 

At that time, the victim took off running upon hearing several gunshots, then realized he was hit and fell. A bystander told police he called 911 upon hearing three gunshots while sitting outside a residence, then stepping toward the front of the residence and observing the victim laying on the ground.

According to the report, additional witnesses, who refused to be identified in the report, stated the incident occurred with four individuals standing in a front yard with the victim. Those witnesses told police that after a while they heard a few shots being fired and identified the victim fleeing the scene. Three of the four individuals were then observed bent over as if picking up something off the ground, and they jumped into a four-door sedan, drove to the victim’s location, fired several more shots and left the scene. Officers were able to locate and recover one spent shell casing near the scene.

The victim was then transported to a Memphis hospital with what the report described as non-critical injuries.