Kansas Gas Service customers in Ellinwood experienced a shutdown of the natural gas distribution system serving that area on Saturday that continued through the weekend. As of 10 a.m. Monday, there were still approximately 130 homes or businesses affected, according to Dawn Tripp, manager of public relations at Kansas Gas Services. By 10 a.m. Tuesday, technicians had made a complete pass through Ellinwood to reach every customer impacted by the natural gas outage, according to the KGS website.
“Door hangers with a phone number to call to restore service will be left at properties we’re unable to access.”
The shutdown was caused after a natural gas line was struck during a digging operation between Ellinwood and Great Bend at Bartlett Grain, 15 NE 60 Ave., around 12:21 p.m., Saturday, according to the Barton County Sheriff’s Office daily incident log.
“Our technicians worked through the night and are continuing today to reach the remaining customers in Ellinwood who are impacted by the natural gas outage,” Tripp said Monday. “Please be assured that we are working as quickly and safely as possible to resolve this issue that was caused by a damaged pipeline by a third-party.”
Notices were first sent at 4:38 p.m. Saturday that crews were responding. “We are bringing in technicians from other areas of the state to assist in the completion of repairs and restoration of service,” Tripp stated.
Technicians were sent to each home and business to turn off meters. Customers were advised that when repairs were completed, technicians would return to complete safety checks and relight appliances.
Kansas Gas Service released the following information:
• If you are still without natural gas service, please call us at 800-794-4780. If you call after 7 p.m., please call 913-599-8998. Note: You may experience longer than normal hold times, as is common this time of year. Please do not attempt to turn the meter back on yourself.
• As a reminder, our technicians will be asking each customer COVID-19 related questions prior to each restoration to determine the level of protective equipment necessary to provide service.
• An adult must be present for our service technician to enter each customer location for safety checks and to relight appliances.
• Our technicians wear company logoed clothing and yellow safety vests and carry identification, facemasks and other safety equipment as necessary.
• We ask that you please secure your pets.
As always, your safety is our top priority. If you smell natural gas, leave the area immediately and then call 911 and our emergency number at 888-482-4950.