With the COVID-19 pandemic still impacting the area, every Barton County registered voter who is eligible to vote in the Aug. 4 primary was mailed an application for a mailed advanced ballot for the primary and the Nov. 3 general elections, Barton County Election Officer Donna Zimmerman said.
“Now is the time to return your applications if you haven’t done so already if desiring to vote by mail,” she said, stressing that voting by mail is optional.
Polls will be open for regular in-person voting on the election days. The County Clerk’s Office is also now open for in-person early voting through noon on the day preceding the election.
The deadline to apply for mailed advanced ballots is Tuesday, July 28.
She also offered the following information:
• Masks are encouraged when entering to vote, but not required.
• Applications may also be downloaded from the Barton County website at www.bartoncounty.org (click: Departments/Elections/Advance Vote).
• Completed applications may be hand-delivered to the Clerk’s Office, mailed, emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 620-793-1990.
• However, she said an elector cannot apply for a ballot for another voter.
• An application for an advanced ballot for someone who is sick or disabled may be filed during the regular advanced ballot application period until the close of polls on the day of the election.
• If returning a mailed advanced ballot in person, the ballot must be returned to the county clerk/election officer before the close of the polls on the day of the election.
• An advanced ballot may also be delivered to the voter’s polling location.
• If returning by mail, a ballot must be postmarked on or before election day and received on or before the Friday following the election.
• Ballots will not be counted until election day.
Individuals may register to vote at the following locations during regular business hours:
• Barton County Clerk’s Office, Courthouse, Great Bend
• All city clerk’s offices in Barton County
• Front Door, 1615 10th, Great Bend
• Great Bend Public Library, 1409 Williams, Great Bend
• First Kansas Bank, 101 N Main, Hoisington
• Hoisington Library, 169 S Walnut, Hoisington
• Credit Union of America, 4708 10th, Great Bend
Persons who apply for services at voter registration agencies may register at the following locations during regular business hours:
• Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services, 1305 Patton Rd, Great Bend
• The Center for Counseling and Consultation, 5815 Broadway, Great Bend
• Barton County Health Department, 1300 Kansas, Great Bend
• Kansas Drivers’ License Examination Department, Barton County Courthouse, 1400 Main, Room 207, Great Bend
• Rosewood Services, 384 N Washington Ave, Great Bend
• Sunflower Diversified Services Inc. 8823 4th St., Great Bend
Primary election deadlines include:
• Tuesday, July 28: Deadline to apply for mailed advanced ballots
• Monday, Aug. 3 (noon): Deadline to vote advanced ballots in-person in the Office of the County Clerk/Election Officer
• Tuesday, Aug. 4: Deadline for sick/disabled/illiterate voters to apply for an Advanced Ballot
• Tuesday, Aug. 4: Advanced Ballots must be returned to the County Clerk/Election Office or polling place before 7 p.m. If returning by mail, your ballot must be postmarked by election day and received on or before the Friday following the election.