With the Nov. 6 city/county/state general election less than a month away, Barton County Election Officer Donna Zimmerman wants to remind county resident of pending registration deadlines.
According to Zimmerman, the deadline to register to vote is at the end of the business day Tuesday, Oct. 16. And, although the cutoff is Tuesday, Oct. 30, she said those who want ballots mailed to them should apply sooner rather than later.
Ballot applications are available on the Barton County website, bartoncounty.org. Go to the “Departments” tab and click on “Elections.”
In order to register, one just needs to be 18 years old on or before the election. Since this is a general election, one does not have to declare a party affiliation.
Zimmerman said they also hope to start in office advance voting Monday, Oct. 22, at her office in Room 202 of the Barton County Courthouse, 1400 Main in Great Bend. However, since this is a national election, delays in getting the equipment and ballots may delay this.
Advance voting would be available through noon, Monday, Nov. 5.
She said her staff will be available for advance voting from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 3, at the courthouse.
In addition, Zimmerman said any voter can go to Voterview at myvoteinfo.voteks.org/VoterView/Home.do or from the Barton County website at bartoncounty.org/Departments/Elections/ Current Elections. A person can enter their name (typed exactly like it appears on their voter registration) and date of birth, and can learn if their registered and where they vote, and can see a sample of their ballot (what city and county candidates appear on the ballot can depend on what ward or district in which the voter lives).
For more information, contact Zimmerman at 620-793-1835.
The deadline to register to vote for the Nov. 6 general election is the end of the business day Tuesday, Oct. 16. Voters may register to vote during regular business hours at the following locations:
• Barton County Clerk’s Office, Room 202, 1400 Main, Great Bend
• All City Clerk’s offices in Barton County
• Barton County Health Department, 1300 Kansas, Great Bend
• Credit Union of America, 4708 10th, Great Bend
• First Kansas Bank, 101 North Main, Hoisington
• Front Door, 1615 10th, Great Bend
• Great Bend Public Library, 1409 Williams, Great Bend
• Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services, 1305 Patton Rd., Great Bend
• Kansas Drivers License Examination Department, Barton County Courthouse, 1400 Main, Room 207, Great Bend
• Sunflower Diversified Services Inc., 8823 Fourth, Great Bend
• The Center for Counseling and Consultation, 5815 Broadway, Great Bend