Gun safety is an important part of owning guns and knowing how to use them. This weekend the Barton County Sheriff ’s Office will be teaching this safety to people during its Carry Conceal class.
The class will be held from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. this Saturday at the Barton County Sheriff ’s Office Range and Training Facility located at 396 NE 30 Road, east of the landfill. A second class for women only is scheduled for July 30.
“Even though the laws have changed dealing with when and how people can carry a gun, education about guns is still very important and this class will provide that,” Sheriff Brian Bellendir said.
The Handgun Safety Training Course is an eight hour basic firearms safety class that people must first complete as part of the application
process for the Carry Concealed handgun license.
“Although anyone 21 years old or older can take the course not everyone is eligible to obtain a CCH license,” Bellendir said.Delete-Merge Up
The instructors for the class are all Kansas law enforcement officers with various backgrounds and years of experience.
• Cost is $50 per person; people can pay in advance or the day of the class.
• Arrive a few minutes early; class begins promptly at 8 a.m.
• Have a photo ID (Kansas driver’s license).
• Have a writing utensil.
• People will need their own reliable working handgun. Bring the unloaded gun. Leave all ammunition in your vehicle.
• Participants will need a minimum of 50 rounds of ammunition (25 rounds for practice, 25 for qualification).
• Bring appropriate eye protection and ear protection.
• Wear appropriate clothing for the weather conditions. Qualification is outdoors.
• A light lunch will be provided, but if you have a special diet, bring your own lunch.
• Training and Qualification will be held at the BTSO range: 396 NE 30 Road, east of the landfill on Bissell’s Point Road.
For more information about the class contact the Barton County Sheriff ’s Office, 620-793-1876.