Local wheat tours for Barton County and neighboring counties are scheduled in May.
• Wheat Quality Council Tour—Tuesday-Wednesday, May 5-6. The multi-state tour coordinated by the Wheat Quality Council in Brighton, Colo. will tour Barton County and regional wheat fields. The tour provides first-hand experience and understanding of the quality of the 2015 wheat crop. The tour is filled with wheat experts and novices viewing wheat fields up close for the first time.
The Wheat Quality Council Tour will travel from Manhattan to Colby May 5 and from Colby to Wichita May 6.
Kansas State University crop production, plant pathologist and entomologist will discuss the wheat crop, diseases affecting the wheat and wheat crop insect issues.
• Barton County Extension Wheat Tour—Thursday, May 14. Strecker plot 1 mile south of Galatia, NW 180th Road and NW 100th Ave. Call 620-792-1910; or email BT@listserv.ksu.edu.
• Stafford County Extension Wheat Tour—Tuesday, May 12, noon. Sandyland Field, half-mile west of U.S. 281 and U.S. 50. A hamburger feed is sponsored by the Kanza Co-op, at the test plot location. For information, contact the Stafford County Extension Office, 620-549-3502, or email Glenn at Gnewdigg@ksu.edu.
• Pawnee County Extension Wheat Tour—Monday, May 18, 6 p.m. North side of I Road between 200th and 210th Ave. Contact Jake Renner, 620-285-6901 or email PN@listserv.ksu.edu.
• Russell County Extension Wheat Tour—Thursday, May 21. The tour will visit the Russell County plot at 7:30 a.m. and the Lorraine plot at 11:30 a.m. Call Dusti Betts, 785-483-3157; or email email@example.com.