By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Firefighters battle blazes, CO
Placeholder Image


Great Bend firefighters extinguished two fires and made a timely carbon monoxide check this past weekend, Fire Chief Mike Napolitano reported.

A wood-burning stove started a fire Sunday night in an out building of Faith Community Church, Great Bend Fire Napolitano said.

Pastor Sandy Kennedy called 911 after she looked out the parsonage window and saw a fire in one of their out buildings, a shop. The wood-burning stove had been lit for the cats that were in the building, she said. The fire had started the ceiling on fire.

Firefighters were dispatched to the church at 292 West Barton County Road at 9:45 p.m. They arrived to find flames showing in the roof around a metal chimney.

The fire was quickly extinguished, Napolitano said. Damage was estimated at $2,000.

Firefighters also responded Saturday night to a large wood pile on fire in the middle of the dry river bed by the Radium Bridge.

On Saturday afternoon, around 1:15 p.m., firefighters were dispatched to 3910 Cedar Park Place, Apt. 2B, for a carbon monoxide (CO) check. The occupant’s alarm was activated and she wanted her apartment checked, Napolitano said. "A high level of CO was found in this apartment as well as the apartment next door. The furnace from Apartment 2B was the cause of the CO. Both occupants were evacuated until the furnace was repaired."

Kansas Gas Service was called to assist.

Napolitano noted that the CO detector did what is was supposed to do, which was to alert the occupant of a potential problem. It protected her and her neighbor, he said.